Chinese New Year Wrap- Up: Picture Overload!!

January 13, 2012
Chinatown, San Francisco 


We wrapped up our Chinese New Year Unit this week & boy did the kids have a BLAST! I was also able to hit our Social Studies standards hard with this awesome theme. I began by showing them some short clips on youtube about Chinese New Year, including some footage on amazing Chinese parades. I showed them some pictures from a trip I took to Chinatown in San Francisco:

 

There were so many beautiful things to look at in this store. And I didn't know it at the time, but they don't allow people to take pictures in their store....whoops!! 



I love the dragons....oh so colorful!!


I also found a clip of two Chinese school children singing a song in their language on youtube....my kids were really into it! We also located China & the United States on a map and did a simple compare and contrast activity.

We also made a Chinese New Year dragon and a lantern from Jennifer over at First Grade Blue Skies.


You can find her packet here on Teachers Pay Teachers. 



I love the way they turned out!


We made lanterns and we discussed how the Lantern Festival marks the end of Chinese New Year celebrations. 


We also did a quick math journal entry. 




I hope you're still with me! If you are, I have a freebie just for you. I hope it's something you can use in your classroom. 


This graphic organizer is free in my TpT store. Just click the link to grab your copy.


12 comments

  1. I LOVE San Francisco!!!

    I really like all of the things you did with your students--those dragons are so cute! What a cool unit for your kids :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you started following my blog so that I could click on over and find your ADORABLE blog. I have tons of Vietnamese students in my class who celebrate lunar new year, so I will definitely be borrowing a few of these super cute ideas!

    Mary
    Adventures in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute!
    -Megan

    http://firstgrademagic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like your class had a great time! Love picture overloads :)

    I trace all parts for my kiddos and then they cut each of them out. Sometimes I will cut very small or difficult pieces.

    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the ideas and thanks for the freebies! I'm your newest follower!

    Kim
    Growing Up Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks everyone! I really had fun with this unit :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chinatown is so interesting and fun. I loved seeing some of your photos. I've only been to the one in New York. It looks like your kiddos learned a lot about Chinese New Year!

    Kayla
    Primary Junction

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors and embellishments of the Chinese Lanterns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for your sweet comments!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.